Alright let me just jump into what is all going on right now.
With all that is happening in Japan at this time, with the earthquake and tsunami that caused major damage in Northeast part of Japan the effects of which shoot all the way down to Tokyo. Add the threat of the Nuclear Plant in the Fukushima area and it is just a a very bad situation right now. Nonetheless a lot of wrestling companies are aiming to keep doing what they aim to do and that is to keep the fans entertained and try to in turn do what they can for those who affected at this time.
To name a few promotions that have decided to postpone or cancel shows. SMASH has postponed their SMASH.15 (3/18) show and Dragon Gate has done the same for their big “COMPILATION GATE 2011” on 3/20.
The big 3, NJPW, All Japan & NOAH will be holding their big shows as scheduled this weekend and I will cover them respectively.
Big Japan, DDT, KAIENTAI DOJO & FREEDOMS have come together and will be working to make sure provision of supplies get to those who are affected at this time. They also mention Michinoku Pro & Sendai Girls which was affected as well. This is a joint effort by all the organizations to make sure people can stay warm and keep healthy at this time.
I am n=only going to be posting the upcoming cards for the shows that I know are happening this weekend and on Monday from the big 3. With shows seemingly being postponed like the DG show I mentioned above I am just got to touch on the bigger shows since that is what is the only things worth mentioning for the most part.
All Japan has called off their shows up to their big show on 3/21 which though will continue as scheduled with a good portion of the proceeds going to the Red Cross to help those in need.
All Japan has been building up to this upcoming show for the last month and even in this crazy time they are continuing to move forward. I’ll have the card posted below for the show on Monday and then any notes and pictures below it.
All Japan Pro Wrestling presents “Pro Wrestling Love in Ryogoku Vol. 11”, 3/21/2011 (Mon) 16:00
Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo
(card order subject to change)
(1) Masanobu Fuchi & Kazushi Miyamoto vs. Zodiac & Yasufumi Nakanoue
(2) Kaz Hayashi & KAI vs. Hiroshi Yamato & BUSHI
(3) Special 6 Man Tag: Big Van Vader, Jesse White & Ryota Hama vs. TARU, Rene Dupree & MAZADA
~ Vader is indeed coming to Japan and will be looking to bring a potentially interest match with his son coming along, Jesse White and someone who idolizes Vader in Ryota Hama. TARU is looking to make a statement with Vader by saying he did not need him in the first place in the Voodoo Murders. Definitely should be interesting and I would mark to see a double body splash from Hama and Vader.
(4) All Asia Tag Team Championship Match: [Champions] Seiya Sanada & Manabu Soya vs. Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi [BJW] ~ 3rd Defense.
~ Both teams have met a couple times this month in non-title matches and have led to 30 minute, time limit draws. Being a title match this will be a 60 minute match that should be another great showcase for these guys. Both teams in my mind could walk out the champions, each have their strengths and ability to work together as a cohesive unit and that will make for a strong match.
(5) Special Match: Keiji Mutoh vs. Daichi Hashimoto [ZERO1]
~ Daichi is coming off an big debut earlier this month and is being thrown into the fray pretty quickly with some of the biggest names in the business. First a match with Chono for his debut and now against Mutoh for his second in ring performance. Mutoh is aiming to see the fight in Daichi first hand and wants to witness if Daichi is indeed the rightful heir to the throne created by his father Shinya Hashimoto.
(6) Special Tag Match: Masakatsu Funaki & Minoru Suzuki vs. Yuji Nagata & Jushin Thunder Liger [NJPW]
~ Funaki & Minoru originally got their starts in New Japan Pro Wrestling and both have history with their opponents. Of course Suzuki and Nagata have a rivaled past that saw the two square off at the last Wrestle Kingdom show. Funaki and Liger on the other hand go back to an almost mentor friendship. Funaki owes Liger for much in his early career, most notable his kicking and palm strikes that Liger is known for these days. So all these guys know each other very well and should provide another interesting match up in my opinion.
(7) World Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: [Champion] Minoru vs. Shuji Kondo ~ 1st Defense.
~ Minoru was the man to finally chop down the lengthy reign of Kaz Hayashi’s and is looking to cement his name as a strong champion by taking out arguably the strongest wrestlers in Japan right now. Kondo may not be the tallest wrestler in the ring, but his pure strength makes him a hard man to control in the ring. This isn’t Minoru’s first walk around the park and I can expect him to target Konodo’s arms fairly early on in the match and aim for his Minoru Special (Cross Armbreaker) for the finish.
(8) World Tag Team Championship Match: [Champions] KONO & Joe Doering vs. Taiyo Kea & Takao Omori ~ 1st Defense.
~ Taiyo Kea pretty much feels like he never lost the Tag Belts to KONO and Doering in early February and has sought out a new partner to try and get the belts back. Omori appeared to Kea and well as you can see the rest is in the books. KONO and Doering even though being the younger team also have the Voodoo Murders right behind them at any given moment. Though who knows as Kea is always a TKO away from winning and Omori can come out of nowhere with the Axe Bomber.
(9) Triple Crown Championship Match: [Champion] Suwama vs. KENSO ~ 3rd Defense.
~ KENSO has been rising up the ranks in All Japan since he appeared last year and even though having a falling out with the Voodoo Murders it has not stopped his rise one bit, if anything it boosted it. KENSO has a fan following, but Suwama does as well and is looking to maintain his position in the company as the man to beat.
I would say just on how this card stacks up that it will be the event of the weekend easily. Even with the New Japan raping up the cup I got to say that this event has a bit more to it in terms of things I am really wanting to see.
New Japan has posted a nice digest of the New Japan Cup First Round matches and I definitely recommend watching this to see what is going down right now.
As you can see there was a couple surprise winners as well as what looked to have been some very solid matches between Makabe/Kojima and Naito/Tanaka. They definitely looked to have been the better matches so far, but with the Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and then the final match to claim the victor of the whole thing I expect to seem some good stuff.
In the wake of Hirooki Goto not making it out of the first round of the New Japan Cup, though winning the last 2 previous years, he has announced that on 3/23 he will be making another excursion to Mexico to compete in CMLL. It has also been noted that there is no word on his return date as well, but I could suspect before the G1 in August.
To keep some thoughts alive, Goto has mentioned that he aims to win the IWGP Heavy belt by the next Wrestle Kingdom, so with the excursion he could possibly return with some new fire and get the job done.
NJPW “NEW JAPAN CUP 2011”, 3/19/2011 (Sat) 18:00
Aichi Prefecture Gymnasium
(1) Tiger Mask IV & Hiromu Takahashi vs. Tama Tonga & King Fale
(2) Wataru Inoue, Jushin Thunder Liger & Kohji Kanemoto vs. Takashi Iizuka, Jado & Gedo
(3) Giant Bernard, “The Machine Gun” Karl Anderson & Tomoaki Honma vs. Yujiro Takahashi, Tetsuya Naito & Tomohiro Ishii
(4) NJC Round 2: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Toru Yano
(5) NJC Round 2: Manabu Nakanishi vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
(6) IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship Match: [Champion] Prince Devitt vs. KUSHIDA
~ KUSHIDA is looking to kick off his signing with NJPW in the right start by becoming the IWGP Jr Champion, but that is not an easy feat with Devitt showcasing that he is a strong champion. Though some may not remember but KUSHIDA has a pinfall over Devitt at the Best of the Super Juniors tournament that was held in May/June of last year. So KUSHIDA is coming in with the upset victory and with the notion that he knows how to beat Devitt. Devitt will be aiming to rectify that loss, but with an apparent Shoulder injury and the stress of also defending the tag titles the next day against TAKA & Taichi will it prove to be too much for him?
(7) Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Satoshi Kojima, TAKA Michinoku [K-DOJO] & Taichi
(8) NJC Round 2: Togi Makabe vs. MVP
(9) NJC Round 2: Yuji Nagata vs. Masato Tanaka [ZERO1]
NJPW “NEW JAPAN CUP 2011 FINALS”, 3/20/2011 (Sun) 16:00
Amagasaki Memorial Park Gymnasium in Hyogo
The full card for this show on Sunday has not been released, because things will be shifted according to who wins and loses at the show on Saturday.
() NJC Semi-Final Match
() NJC Semi-Final Match
() IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match: [Champions] Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. TAKA Michinoku [K-DOJO] & Taichi
~ TAKA believes whole heartily that he knows how to beat Devitt in every way possible, even though not getting the job done in his singles match against Devitt last month he says he felt out Devitt and it will not happen again. TAKA is so sure he even asked the President of NJPW Sugibayashi if a defense for the tag belts could happen at TAKA’s own promotions KAIENTAI DOJO in April. Is TAKA thinking too far ahead for his own good or does he know what he is talking about and Taichi and himself will be walking out the victors over Apollo 55?
() NJC Final Match
NOAH “NAVIGATION IN MARCH 2011″, 3/19/2011 (Sat) 15:00
Okayama Exhibition Center Orange Hall
() Takeshi Morishima & Yutaka Yoshie vs. Akira Taue & Akitoshi Saito
() Yoshinobu Kanemaru & KENTA vs. Bobby Fish & Mikey Nicholls
() Naomichi Marufuji & Atsushi Aoki vs. Ricky Marvin & Shane Haste
() Go Shiozaki, Shuhei Taniguchi & Kotaro Suzuki vs. Kensuke Sasaki, Katsuhiko Nakajima & Kento Miyahara
() Jun Akiyama & Yoshinari Ogawa vs. Trevor Murdock & Brian Breaker
() Takashi Sugiura, Mohammed Yone & Masao Inoue vs. Yoshihiro Takayama, Takuma Sano & Masashi Aoyagi
NOAH “NAVIGATION IN MARCH 2011″, 3/21/2011 (Mon) 15:00
Fukuoka Convention Center
(1) Masao Inoue vs. Shane Haste
(2) Takuma Sano & Akitoshi Saito vs. Kento Miyahara & Brian Breaker [WLW]
(3) Atsushi Aoki vs. Bobby Fish
(4) Yoshinari Ogawa & Ricky Marvin vs. KENTA & Genba Hirayanagi
(5) Go Shiozaki & Shuhei Taniguchi vs. Yutaka Yoshie & Yuto Aijima.
(6) Mohammed Yone vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru
(7) Jun Akiyama & Naomichi Marufuji vs. Kensuke Sasaki [KO] & Katsuhiko Nakajima [KO]
(8) GHC Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: [Champion] Kotaro Suzuki vs. Taiji Ishimori
(9) Singles Match: Takeshi Morishima vs. Yoshihiro Takayama
(10) GHC Heavyweight Championship Match: [Champion] Takashi Sugiura vs. Trevor Murdock [WLW]
~ This is probably not the best card, like some were hoping, but NOAH obviously has things planned out in their own way. Many thought that Sugiura would be going up against Kensuke Sasaki at this show, but NOAH has been looking to rebuild their relationships with outside promotions so none better than their main World League Wrestling out of the states.
~ The only main news that I can really touch on at this time is that KENTA, Yoshinobu Kanemaru and Genba Hirayanagi’s new team is now known as NO MERCY. Mohammed Yone is still looking to somehow gain some footing and has recently put his hand out namely towards Go Shiozaki, but that is going to be a hard choice for Shiozaki considering all the crap he put up with DISOBEY.
Also the rumors are flying around that KENTA is looking towards wanting Yoshihiro Takayama in NO MERCY. That would make the stable definitely bigger, but I hope to see more news coming following the show this weekend.
K-DOJO will be having 2 shows this weekend with both being billed as shows to benefit those affected by the Earthquake.
KAIENTAI DOJO “CLUB-K 3000”, 3/19/2011 (Sat) 18:30
(1) HIROKI & Ryuichi Sekine vs. Randy Takuya & Makoto Oishi
(2) Saburo Inamatsu, JOE & Yuu Yamagata vs. Daigoro Kashiwa, Kaji Tomato & Bambi
(3) Akira Shiori, Hiro Tonai & Yuki Sato vs. Quiet Storm, Owen Pheonix & Venom Ali
(4) UWA Middleweight Championship Match: [Champion] Yasu Urano vs. Marines Mask
(5) Yuji Hino & Taishi Takizawa vs. Kengo Mashimo & KAZMA
There card on Sunday was originally to be held last weekend, but due to the quake and Tsunami’s it was postponed. Also TAKA Michinoku was also scheduled to compete on this show against HIROKI, but due to NJPW also holding a show he has stepped off the card and HIROKI will now be facing Yuki Sato.
KAIENTAI DOJO “CLUB-K SUPER it’s gonna be…”, 3/20/2011 (Sun) 14:00
(1) YOSHIYA & Lightning Bousou Boy Raito vs. Randy Takuya & Yuu Yamagata
(2) Akira Shiori, Hiro Tonai & Makoto Oishi vs. Kazuhiro Tamura, Masashi Takeda & Kotaro Nasu [STYLE-E]
(3) Daigoro Kashiwa, Kaji Tomato & Marines Mask vs. Quiet Storm, Owen Pheonix & Venom Ali
(4) KAZMA vs. Taishi Takizawa
(5) HIROKI vs. Yuki Sato
(6) International Ribbon Tag Team Championship Match: [Champions] Hikaru Shida & Tsukasa Fujimoto vs. Makoto & Bambi
(7) WEW Hardcore Tag Team Championship Match: [Champions] Yuji Hino & Saburo Inamatsu vs. Kengo Mashimo & Ryuichi Sekine
Site updates: The calender on the right side of the page is broken. I had an issue with the code and tried to fix it, but in turn now nothing I put it in shows up. In the option of not losing everything I have put in it before hand, I am working on it and hope to be able to make it work right here soon.
In light of everything that is going on I plan to hopefully finish up the New Japan Pro Wrestling page and get the profiles finished at least. Also I need to get the results from this year all in the right spot, but that will come once the wrestler pages are finished.
As usual I do accept feedback and questions through my new formspring account http://www.formspring.me/PuroresuSpirit . Anything pro wrestling related from WWE, NJPW, All Japan, NOAH and whatever else, since I watch about everything nothing shouldn’t be to hard for me to answer.
Be sure to follow the Puroresu Spirit Facebook Page for all the latest updates and more, as well as following me on twitter for some interesting comments on all wrestling in general.
Thanks for following the website and at this time I ask for all of you to give some thoughts to those in Japan at this time that need to know you care about them and hope they make it through this and only get stronger.
This Week in Japanese Pro Wrestling V.3