[NJPW News] New Japan announced the card for the upcoming KING OF PRO-WRESTLING event on October 14th as well as some bad news for Satoshi Kojima.
First up the bad news, Satoshi Kojima suffered a right shoulder dislocation during his match against Kazuchika Okada and because of the severity of the injury he has been told that he needs rest for at least 2 months. This means that Kojima will be unable to compete on the upcoming NWA show in Texas in October as well as any other previously scheduled matches.
As for NWA it was announced that Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Jushin Thunder Liger, Gedo, and Takaaki Watanabe, his first excursion, will all be heading to the USA to compete on the NWA shows on October 18th and 19th.
It was also mentioned that Watanabe will begin his first overseas expedition “indefinitely” following the NWA shows.
Tama Tonga will also be heading back to CMLL indefinitely as he is the current CMLL Tag Champions with Bucanero and he will not be competing on the October 14th show.
Then what is happening in NJPW next month is the big KING OF PRO-WRESTLING event that takes place on October 14th.
The full card for the show has been announced as Okada takes on Tanahashi, Nakamura vs. Marufuji, Naito vs. Yujiro, Nagata vs. Sakuraba, Shibata vs. Ishii! … and special “X” mystery guy will be coming in to join Makabe & Honma as they take on BULLET CLUB.
Hiroshi Tanahashi finally gets his revenge match over Okada after losing the IWGP Heavy belt to him earlier this year. Tanahashi was also a semi-finalist in this years G1 CLIMAX, so he is in the right to challenge. Okada and Tanahashi are currently 2-2 against one another, in recent times, and this match aims to finally settle things once and for all, a “complete conclusion”. Okada also added a stipulation request that after Tanahashi loses this upcoming match that he will immediately have to withdraw from being a title contender as long as Okada is champion.
Shinsuke Nakamura will have a tough match ahead of him as he will be taking on NOAH’s Naomichi Marufuji with the IC belt on the line. These two recently teamed together for Marufuji’ 15th anniversary tag match last month and even then it pointed to some sort of challenge could potentially happen. This is being mentioned as a long awaited match-up and could prove to be exciting.
Tetusya Naito finally claimed his long awaited singles championship prize after taking out ZERO1’s Masato Tanaka for the NEVER Openweight Championship. With that win also meant that Naito remains with his Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Contract and now it means something more than ever for him to compete.
Next up for Naito will see him taking on his “bitter rival” and former ally in Yujiro Takahashi. “Mr. R Rated” Yujiro had a hand it taking out Naito, knee injury, back in October of last year and it is only fitting that it has come full circle this year. Naito says that the situation is completely different from last year and he is looking to claim some much needed revenge.
It was also announced that Yuji Nagata will get a singles rematch against Kazushi Sakuraba and Katsuyori Shibata will be taking on Tomohiro Ishii one on one.
Togi Makabe will be bringing the fight to BULLET CLUB as a 6 man tag match was announced for the 10.14 show. With this announcement also came that a mysterious “X” competitor will be coming to join Makabe in the fight. Who could this be?
Then in the wake of Kojima’s injury, it was announced that Takaaki Watanabe will be heading to the USA and will be staying to train “indefinitely” then following. Watanabe will be teaming, with the returning from injury himself, Hiroyoshi Tenzan as they take on the “returning” “KILLER ELITE SQUAD” in Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.
Minoru Suzuki will also be getting another shot against Toru Yano after their last match on 9.29, which saw Suzuki losing by countout after being handcuffed to the guardrail. Suzuki will surely be looking to get revenge with his pride on the line.
Then lastly, TIME SPLITTERS will be getting another shot at the IWGP Jr. Tag belts after they defeated the team of TAKA & Taichi on the 9.29 show. The reigning champions “Forever Hooligans” will be making their returns to Japan and will be instantly thrown into a title match against their top rivals at this time.
Below is the announced card in full…
New Japan Pro-Wrestling “KING OF PRO-WRESTLING”, 10/14/2013 [Sat] 16:00 @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo
(0) Manabu Nakanishi, Super Strong Machine, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask IV vs. Takashi Iizuka, YOSHI-HASHI, Gedo & Jado
(1) IWGP Junior Tag Championship Match: [35th Champions] “Forever Hooligans” Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov vs. [Challengers] “TIME SPLITTERS” KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley
~ 4th title defense.
(2) CHAOS vs SZKG: Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki
(3) Hiroyoshi Tenzan’s Return Match & Takaaki Watanabe’s Send-Off Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Takaaki Watanabe vs. “K.E.S.” Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.
(4) Special Tag Match: Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & X vs. “BULLET CLUB” Prince Devitt, “The Machine Gun” Karl Anderson & Bad Luck Fale
(5) Special Single Match: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata [Free]
(6) Special Single Match: Yuji Nagata vs. Kazushi Sakuraba [Free]
(7) Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Championship Challenger Rights Contract & NEVER Openweight Championship Match: [2nd Champion] Tetsuya Naito vs. [Challenger] Yujiro Takahashi
~ 1st title defense.
(8) IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: [6th Champion] Shinsuke Nakamura vs. [Challenger] Naomichi Marufuji (NOAH)
~ 2nd title defense.
(9) IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: [59th Champion] Kazuchika Okada vs. [Challenger] Hiroshi Tanahashi
~ 5th title defense.